Ph.D. in Instructional Systems Technology
Degree Requirements (90 cr.)
Major Requirements (42 cr.)
Instructional Systems Technology Core (18 cr.)
- EDUC-R 690 Application of Research Methods to Instructional Systems Technology Issues (3 cr.)
- EDUC-R 695 Topical Inquiry Seminar in Instructional Systems Technology (3 cr., take four times for a total of 12 cr.)
- EDUC-R 711 Readings in Instructional Technology (3 cr.)
Instructional Systems Technology Electives (24 cr.)
Options here include all Instructional Systems Technology graduate courses, as approved by the student’s doctoral advisory committee.
Inquiry Requirements (9 cr.)
- EDUC-Y 502 Intermediate Statistics Applied to Education (3 cr.)
- EDUC-Y 521 Methodological Approaches to Educational Inquiry (3 cr.)
- EDUC-Y 611 Qualitative Inquiry in Education (3 cr.)
Students are allowed to make course substitutions in accordance with the inquiry policy, as approved by the student’s doctoral advisory committee. A list of approved inquiry courses may be found here.
Minor Requirements (12 cr.)
The minor must have integrity in its own right and must complement the major. The minor field must demonstrate wholeness within itself and contribute to the student's overall doctoral program. Minors are normally formulated within a single program area. However, an interdisciplinary or individualized minor is also possible. Interdisciplinary or individualized minors require a written description of the minor's underlying theme along with a rationale for each course's contribution to that theme through the Minor Justification form. This form should be submitted and approved by the Graduate Studies Office prior to enrolling in the minor courses. Major area courses may not be used in the minor.
Foundation Requirements (6 cr.)
Options here include any School of Education courses outside of IST. These courses typically are in the areas of educational psychology and educational foundations.
Elective Requirements (6 cr.)
Options here include any graduate-level courses approved by the student’s doctoral advisory committee.
Dissertation Requirements (15 cr.)
- EDUC-R 795 Dissertation Proposal Preparation (3 cr.)
- EDUC-R 799 Doctoral Dissertation in Instructional Systems Technology (12 cr.)