Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction – Specialization in Art Education (Online or Residential)
Degree Requirements (90 cr.)
Major Requirements (36 cr.)
Focus (30 cr.)
- EDUC-Z 525 Philosophic and Historical Foundations of Art Education (3 cr.)
- EDUC-Z 750 Topical Doctoral Seminar in Art Education (taken twice for a total of 6 cr.)
- EDUC-Z 760 Art Education Research Seminar (taken twice for a total of 6 cr.)
Additional 15 hours are selected in consultation with advisory committee and may include courses outside the program specialization.
Early Inquiry Experience and Inquiry Linkage in the Major (6 cr.)
- EDUC-J 605 Independent Research Experience in Curriculum and Instruction (3 cr.)
- EDUC-J 705 Seminar: Inquiry in Curriculum and Instruction (3 cr.)
Inquiry Requirements (9-15 cr.)
Selected in consultation with advisory committee from the list of approved inquiry courses.
Minor Requirements (12 cr.)
The minor must have integrity in its own right and must complement the major. The minor field must demonstrate wholeness within itself and contribute to the student's overall doctoral program. Minors are normally formulated within a single program area. However, an interdisciplinary or individualized minor is also possible. Interdisciplinary or individualized minors require a written description of the minor's underlying theme along with a rationale for each course's contribution to that theme through the Minor Justification form. This form should be submitted and approved by the Graduate Studies Office prior to enrolling in the minor courses.
Elective Requirements (6-18 cr.)
A minimum of 6 elective credits must be taken outside the major and the minor. An additional elective may be selected from within the major, the minor, inquiry, or any broad field of study.
Dissertation Requirements (15 cr.)
- EDUC-J 795 Dissertation Proposal Preparation (3 cr.)
- EDUC-J 799 Doctoral Thesis in Curriculum and Instruction (12 cr.)